Simple Gifts is a favorite hymn of mine. Written by Elder Joseph Brackett, Jr., a Shaker, the melody and words have endured since 1848. For me, the words are full of freedom and love -- a reminder of where I ought to be and if there, I'll be in the "valley of love and delight." How wonderful is this image!
Friday evening and all day yesterday my husband and I attended the Parkinson's Resources of Oregon Conference held in Eugene, OR. Our attendance was an attempt to learn more about my brother-in-law's illness, which includes an insidious form of dementia which is still him from us.
Our joy and delight was found in the warmth and acceptance by Parkinson's patients and their families. Despite their circumstances, each of this individuals and their family members had accepted their situations and found themselves in the place just right -- supporting and loving one another.
Shouldn't we all be so accepting of our circumstances and life situations?
Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.
And walk in love, as Christ also loved us and given Himself for us,
an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.
* * *
429. Red tulips blooming in the yard
430. First blossoms on the bleeding heart
431. A camellia that hasn't bloomed for three years -- blooming!
432. Circle of love in our family
433. Bob's birthday this week
432. Safe travel to and from Eugene
433. New friends met and enjoyed
434. Knowledge shared about illnesses common to many
435. Gratitude for those who perform research in search of answers and treatments
436. Professionals who took the time to share their expertise
437. Gracious staff of Parkinson's Resources of Oregon
438. Quiet time at home today
439. Birthday cards and calls for Bob from family
440. Bob's impact on my life
441. Wedding band on my finger that may be a bit more snug than the day it was slipped on 31 years ago, but no less shiny and sparkling because of the love it signifies
442. Amazing Christian women who take time to blog and share their faith
Today I'm spending time with --